For most of the patients who visit our Fareham chiropractors at Homewood Chiropractic, back pain is a troublesome but not a sinister condition. And this is true for the majority of back pain sufferers – even severe pain does not usually indicate a dangerous health problem.
Remember that back pain is an extremely common phenomenon with up to 80% of people experiencing it as some point during their lives. Although many cases of back pain happen as a result of muscle or ligament strain, sometimes it seems to come out of nowhere, with no obvious reason at all.
A “slipped” disc is also a common cause of back pain. This occurs when the intervertebral discs (the spine’s shock absorbers) between the vertebrae become damaged. When this happens, the disc either bulges out of place or the thick, outer layer tears which results in the soft, gel-like centre to bulge.
We should all, however, be aware of the “Red Flag” symptoms that could mean something more serious is going on.
If you’re experiencing any of the following symptoms, please tell your healthcare provider immediately.
Back Pain Red Flag Symptoms
- You experience pain in your upper back (thoracic spine)
- You experience nervous system problems such as numbness, loss of power, disturbed walking (gait) or loss of bowel/ bladder control.
- You have had or you currently have cancer.
- Your pain is constant and getting worse.
- Your symptoms follow a violent injury, such as a road traffic accident.
- You are currently taking steroid medication.
- You misuse drugs or have HIV.
- You feel generally unwell or you have a fever.
- You’ve lost a significant amount of weight that cannot be otherwise explained.
- You have great difficulty bending forwards.
- You are less than 20 or over 55 when you experience back pain for the first time.
- The pain has lasted for more than six weeks
Make sure you make your chiropractor aware of any new or worsening symptoms – ignoring them will not make them go away! The sooner your symptoms are assessed by a medical professional, the better chance you have of making a full recovery and getting back to a pain-free life!
For friendly advice or to book an appointment with one of our experienced chiropractors at Homewood, contact us today on 01329 280 283 or email firstname.lastname@example.org