The season for all things festive is upon us and our Fareham chiropractor wants to keep you in those jolly spirits by helping you to avoid unnecessary back pain this winter. Whether you are lugging a sack full of presents down the stairs or ticking off your Christmas shopping list, there is a host of winter activities that can lead to back pain.
So here are some top tips straight from our chiropractor to keep you back healthy and safe this season:
Plan Your Trips
- Whether you’re traveling in the car or by foot, it’s important to take your time in getting to where you are going.
- Allow extra time for your journey; a little bit of extra time (and avoiding the need to rush) could save you from dealing with a painful back injury
- Don’t run to your car or to catch the bus; pavements could be covered in black ice which could lead to a serious fall
- Always use handrails when taking the stairs. (They’re there for a reason!)
- If you need to push your car following a break down, make sure there are at least three people to help you.
Wear Proper Footwear
Make sure you wear stable shoes which have a reliable tread. You can also purchase footwear products that fit on to your existing footwear to provide better traction in slippery or icy conditions. If you are unsteady on your feet, perhaps think about investing in a walking stick to allow for more stability and to avoid trips and slips.
Be Careful with Your Load
Make sure you keep your balance by not carrying too many items at once. You can stabilise the load by distributing the weight evenly on both sides of your body. If your items seem too heavy to safely manage, ask for assistance or make more than one trip. This will help to reduce unnecessary strain on your spine, too!
Follow these tips and you can enjoy a safe and happy winter!