Maintaining a good posture is really important for the health of your back. It is recognised that a poor posture can often become a cause of back problems.
During pregnancy, you body will go though many changes including postural ones. Back aches and pains are not uncommon during pregnancy and are often due to the postural changes that are happening. Some of these changes include for example:
- an increase in lumbar curving due to the increased weight being carried at the front of the body
- an increase in pressure on the upper back as your breast size increases
Three types of exercises that can be beneficial during pregnancy include:
- Core exercises
- Pregnancy specialist yoga – increasingly classes are being offered and can be taken from 12 weeks onwards
- Swimming – many pools offer aqua natal classes. Swimming and aqua natal classes are a good form of exercise as the water support your weight and takes the strain off joints.
Some other advice that our chiropractor offers include:
- Wear comfortable and supportive heels.Leave the high heels in the cupboard for the time being.
- Keep your spine straight and bend at the knees whenever you are lifting anything or lowering it down. This is a must to remember if you already have toddlers or young children to take care of.
- Avoid sitting for prolonged periods of time by standing up and moving around on a regular basis.
- When you are sitting make sure to keep as much of your body in contact with the chair so that your whole body is supported. Your knees should be lower than your hips.
If you need any posture advice during your pregnancy or are suffering back aches and pains then our chiropractors at Homewood Chiropractic Clinic in Fareham are hear to hep you.